January 15, 2008

Good boy

I am a good boy.

I take no for an answer. Every time.

I always let people waste my time and my dime without complaint.

I always say, "That's okay," when someone does or says something thoughtless or hurtful.

If our desires conflict, I will always concede mine first and say, "That's okay," even though I'm dying inside.

I am therefore silently defiant in some aspect of nearly every area of my life.

People cut me slack in my defiance because I am a good boy.

Eventually they get tired of cutting me slack.

I am a bad boy.

3 comments:

terri said...

i think i must be rubbing off on you. do i hear a story behind this post?

Sharp said...

Oh, there are dozens of stories behind it. As I said, my PA tendencies touch every compartment of my life: Marriage, work, family, church, friendships, etc. The cyclical nature of it (unintentionally reflected in my free verse) is the definition of insanity, believe me.

I'm making some progress in standing up for myself but they are baby steps. I'm still hitting my head on the coffee table.

terri said...

ha! hitting your head on the coffee table! i get it.

it's all about baby steps.