June 26, 2013

Man of Tinfoil ... for now

I'm sorry. But I may not ever stop trying to be Superman.

I've worn Superman shirts off and on for years. But even though The Big Bang Theory has since made superhero shirts trendy, Superman's was still considered the unspoken exception until the newest Superman film, Man of Steel, hit theaters this summer.

Wear a Green Lantern or a Flash shirt - heck, even a Batman shirt - and people will crack jokes about the character or say, "Bazinga!" But put on that "S" shield and it's a whole new ballgame. You will almost invariably be asked at some point, "So you think you're Superman, huh?" Superman carries that much weight in Western culture.

So why do I do I wear it then?

Firstly, I do not believe I am Superman. I am light-years removed from being him. But that "S" represents his ideals, ideals I believe in.

I don't have to be perfect. Or never show weakness or pain or fear or fatigue.

That's not Superman.

Historically, Superman has been the superhero with a heart that's bigger than any power he possesses. He has always put others before himself but isn't a doormat. He can't stomach bullies. He follows a code of conduct that emphasizes truth, justice, and the sanctity of life. And more than anything, he has an overriding drive to help people.

There's a reason Superman is always - eventually - referred to as a Christ figure by those who study pop culture. Even when it's unintentional, it's impossible to create a Superman story without comparisons to Christ coming up.

The only son of a father named El (the Hebrew word for God), baby Kal-El was sent from the heavens to Earth, where he was adopted by human parents with the initials J and M. He has godlike powers and devotes his life to saving humanity. He is the most moral, ethical, earnest, and principle-centered superhero in the DC universe and is thus treated alternately as an inspirational leader and an overly idealistic do-gooder by the other heroes.

The Superman character is often interpreted as a manifestation of human wish-fulfillment, a savior who will ultimately win the day and rescue us from all our problems. Many view theistic religion (especially Christianity and Christ) as the same type of wishful thinking.

But what if Christ is real? What if he really does save people? What if he really does love us? Wouldn't it be great to have proof of that? What would it look like? What form would that proof take? Or rather whose form?

Yours. And mine. I am supposed to be the proof that there's a God and that He loves us.

Seen though that rubric, this trailer for Man of Steel almost perfectly encapsulated that purpose for me and for many other Christians. When I first saw it, the metaphors just leaped off the monitor at me.

I'll break down the inspiration I've drawn from the trailer after you watch it.




Sure, the imagery and allusions apply primarily to Superman's messianic qualities. But most can also be freely applied to those who follow the real Messiah and are called to imitate him.

Is it hubris to extend those ideals and goals to ourselves?

I am supposed to exhibit God's love and care among us and demonstrate it to others.
You're the answer son. You're the answer to, "Are we alone in the universe?" 
And God has specific things that He wants me to do while I'm on Earth. I've been given particular gifts and talents and I am destined to use them for Him.
I have to believe that you were sent here for a reason. And even if it takes the rest of your life, you owe it to yourself to find out what that reason is. 
But those gifts are not intended to bring attention to me. They are to give glory to God. And they are to be used to help others. To comfort them, to serve them, to challenge them, and to encourage them to find and express their own gifts and fulfill their own mission.
You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders. 
It's hard to accept that type of responsibility and to get my head around everything that entails. Sometimes I lead a double life. Confidently jumping in to serve and defend others one day and then pulling back and feeling inadequate or outcast the next. It's a hard message for folks to unravel.
How do you find someone who has spent a lifetime covering his tracks? For some he was a guardian angel. For others, a ghost who never quite fit in. 
Add to that, there's a personal enemy of God who attempted a coup, was banished, and whose mission in life now is to avenge himself by hunting down and taking all believers out of service.
You believe your son is safe? I will find him!
Our earthly families may not always understand our gifts or our mission. They may see them as a hindrance or a danger to us.
My father believed that if the world found out who I really was, they'd reject me. He was convinced that the world wasn't ready. What do you think?
But it all boils down to one thing. I am God's child. Yes, I'm a man of tinfoil. But Christ is the one who will do it all through me. So I have nothing to fear. I just need to really believe that truth for myself.
Can't I just keep pretending I'm your son? 
You are my son!
Now watch that trailer again.

Up, up, and away. 

No comments: