December 17, 2007

Dolphins Win! Dolphins Win!



I know this isn't very spiritual but it so blesses my heart to say this:

Finally!

With a 22-16 overtime win over the Ravens, the Miami Dolphins have ended their streak of futility at 16 losses and prevented a winless season for 2007.

I can't begin to imagine how rough it is for the players but this has definitely been an extremely frustrating and embarrassing season for Dolphin fans. To be the constant butt of jokes for the past few months has been excruciating.

The most annoying aspect has been that everyone speaks of the Dolphins as if they have ALWAYS been a losing team and that they are synonymous with losing. Nothing could be further from the truth. I'm only going to say this once: The Dolphins have the HIGHEST WINNING PERCENTAGE OF ANY TEAM IN NFL HISTORY! [Note: That changed after this season. They're now behind the Cowboys (retch!). The 'Phins still have the best all-time regular season percetnage, however.] Before their current slide they only finished under .500 twice in 33 years!

Now that I think about it, I think I can draw a spiritual metaphor out of this. Actually it started screaming at me a few minutes ago!

Sometimes when you've gone through what seems like the worst possible season of your life, you may feel tempted to start writing off your entire life - forgetting all the accomplishments over the years. Others may conveniently forget your victories as well. This is true on a personal and a corporate level. Many of us have wondered lately (at least for a few moments but sometimes for a few weeks!) if we may have thrown upwards of several years of our lives down a hole.

We haven't. God can and will turn it around. More accurately, He is.

Just like a coach would say: Stay committed to what you know is true. Do the right things both in and out of the public eye - not because you're being watched but because it's right. Keep your focus on doing your assignment with excellence - in the present moment - and not on the circumstances or on someone else's performance. Be teachable. You will win again.

8 comments:

Mike Wilhelm said...

Very good metaphor. I'm guilty of thinking that way sometimes. It's so easy to get caught up in the short-term and lose a broad perspective, much less an eternal one.

Unknown said...

Johnny, as I read this I cried. I will admit that many times in the past couple of years I have felt "forgotten" and wondered if I was just a complete and utter failure. I sometimes forget that God does not measure success as humans do and does not work always in ways we comprehend. We will one day have a story to tell if we can remain faithful. Thank you for encouraging us.
btw, I have your Christmas present!

Jan

terri said...

Good stuff. I deal with that phenomenon all the time as a counselor. It's hard to remember good times when you're feeling bad. It's hard to believe in a positive future when you're suffering set-backs. And it's hard to have a good life when your team is tanking. (My husband is a die-hard Viking fan and has learned over the years to be less affected by losing streaks, but every once in a while he backslides and I have to coax him off the ledge.)

Thanks Sharp. Not even remotely pontificating.

terri said...

This is from my husband:

By the way, your 1972 dolphins are in danger of losing their lofty perch...go patriots!!!

This is from me:

he's mean!

Sharp said...

Hey, the Dolphins themselves may prevent that this weekend! And I may join Mensa.

BTW: What's the Vikings' record in Super Bowls? Especially VIII.

I can be mean, too.

terri said...

Dave says:

ouch! touche'

terri said...

Merry Christmas Sharp!

Tom said...

Johnny, enjoyed this post. Got here from Mike's blog. Also liked the lyreic from U2 at the top of the page. Much of the Christian comunity is toio stiff to admit that God can work through a bad that isn't considered "Christian." Thanks again for this post and blog.