September 10, 2014

My sisters

I never had any sisters and I'm sure I'm the poorer for it. But I have always had a strong connection to, admiration of, and affection for women. I've had tremendous women as mentors and role models throughout my life. I've probably had more female friends than male in my adult life. And for a debilitatingly straight guy my age, that's unusual.

I've long felt like I should post a tribute to a few of the women whom I admire, respect, and cherish. There are many friends and family members I could have chosen who were very worthy. I was tempted to forego this post to avoid disappointing anyone but I felt so strongly about celebrating someone that I knew I must write something and just trust others would understand that I can't choose everyone.

I finally decided on these two ladies because they are from my workplace and virtually all of my non-work friends do not know them. I am extremely proud to introduce them to you. If I could pick any women to "adopt" as my sisters, these two would be on the list.

Besides the fact that both are extremely tall, they share many traits. Each is a force of nature. You can almost wring their personality out of your clothes when they leave the room. They are both unapologetically themselves: Remarkably strong, unflinchingly outspoken, fiercely independent, and intentionally unique. They are women of deep faith in Christ. They do not suffer fools well. Yet they seem to love this one!

They are deeply human. They are flawed. But they are perfectly themselves. And this fool loves them for it.


Denise


Once, a co-worker overheard Denise and me as we were discussing something. (It's impossible not to.). He told me later he was concerned at first that we were arguing. We were not arguing. We just have a very distinctive, over-the-top style of banter. Denise feigns alarm, disgust and indignation at whatever I am doing that she finds silly or questionable. Loudly. I counter with cynicism, rationalization, and denial. She shakes her head. I smile. It's essentially carefully crafted performance art developed through years of trust-building. We get it. Others don't.

Denise has always been the type of person who knows virtually everyone at work. And she keeps tabs on them all, making sure their doctor appointment went well and their child overcame spelling test anxiety and their vacation plans are on track. And she has a cheerful greeting, a warm smile, a hug, or a sarcastic comment for everyone, as the situation warrants.

Sadly for those of us at the office, Denise's team began telecommuting full-time just a few months ago. We - meaning I - miss her terribly.

Denise and I have been working together for a decade. We've seen each other through tremendous highs and devastating lows in our work and personal lives.

These are a handful of the things Denise has reinforced in me over the years.

Have a victorious mindset - I was raised to be an Eeyore. Denise always actively calls me on that and reminds me of who I am as a child of God. She's always right because it's always true. Whether I believe it or not.

Root out self-deception immediately - Denise will always bust you if you try to rationalize or justify something you know is sinful, selfish, or potentially self-destructive. And she's honest with herself, as well. She always keeps things real, in the best sense. I always try to do the same for her. Frequently!

Care - Denise is always deeply concerned and very thoughtful about her friends and their lives. And she actively does practical things for them. I am forever in her debt for her work in organizing and creating a wonderful silver anniversary reception for my wife and me. It's not enough to talk. You have to do.

Children are people, too - As an educator, Denise has a great heart for children and they absolutely love her. She treats them with respect and dignity and encourages their sense of wonder and achievement. She is acutely aware that they are adults in training yet she wants them to experience the joy of childhood. When fellow employees bring their kids by the office, they want to know if they'll get to see Denise!

Celebrate! - Denise loves any excuse to throw a party, whether to mark a milestone or to take a break from the office grind and rejoice in an important life event, a job well done, or just being alive. We desperately miss her since she began telecommuting. Please come back and bring a party with you, Denise!


Cynthia


Cynthia and I have known each other for two years but we have formed a very strong friendship.

I enjoy watching people meet Cynthia for the first time. She is an extremely impressive person. She is very sharp-minded, calmly confident, direct, relentlessly charming - and strikingly beautiful. When Cynthia begins conversing with a third person in the room, the newcomer will sometimes never turn to listen to that other person. They will still be watching Cynthia.

But that's not what makes her Cynthia. She is an old-school, down to her bones, living and breathing example of what was once known as the Protestant work ethic. Cynthia exudes hard work and integrity and she commands respect. You are compelled to step up your game just by being around her.

And it's not just her professionalism that compels. Cynthia has taught me so much in such a short time about applying the same zeal to enjoying life. She has helped me change in positive ways. I can't bring higher praise to a person than that. I can only hope to return the favor.

Here are a few of the many things that Cynthia encourages in my life.

Keep your word - If Cynthia tells you she will do something, she does it. No matter what she has to do to get it done, it WILL be done. That is almost freakishly uncommon in this day and age. I do not take it for granted. Cynthia also shares a trait with one of my greatest heroes, Theodore Roosevelt: She will calmly promise something that she has absolutely no idea how to accomplish and will then secretly learn how to do it on the fly.

Loyalty - This is among Cynthia's most cherished values. She cannot abide disloyalty. Don't throw people under the bus. It's cowardly. Don't betray their confidence. It's an assault on their security. And both will always come back to haunt you. Always. No one is perfect at this, including Cynthia and I. But we have proven ourselves enough that we each know the other has our back. That's a rare and great thing to have at work.

Stand up and be heard - Cynthia's highest praise for anyone is to say they are 'strong'. To her, strength is the ability to project yourself into and onto your environment, the force of will. Cynthia is very direct and candid with her opinions about work and, well, everything! And she will actively defend and promote her opinions, ideas, and career and anything else that is hers. Little by little she's teaching me - the soft-spoken guy who must be liked by everyone - to do more of the same.

It's just work. Have fun! - Even though Cynthia is a dynamo of productivity and a model of professionalism, she is also an engine of laughter and a lover of new experiences. We've even had a few Nerf gun battles with each other at the office. (I was usually the winner. Just saying.) She also manages to stay closely connected to her adult children during the day. And when she leaves the office, she leaves the office.

She lets me 'borrow' her kids - Since my wife and I don't have any children here on Earth, I sometimes enjoy parenthood vicariously through the kids of my friends.  Cynthia's are no exception. Everyone thinks they have smart and beautiful kids. But Cynthia seriously does. She has three incredibly responsible, remarkably high-achieving, impossibly good-looking kids whom I love to hear news about.


No comments: