June 29, 2015

The Fruit of Civil Discourse

This post was written during the days immediately following Obergefell v. Hodges, the Supreme Court decision declaring same-sex marriage constitutional.

Many of my Facebook friends are openly asking, "How should I respond to current events?" I have friends on the far edges of both sides of the political and theological divide. I am often maddeningly centrist as far as they are concerned. C'est la vie.
I can make only one statement. But I can say it with certainty because it's not dependent on my wisdom. (Thank goodness!)
This isn't about what my response is but about how I should give it. I must respond in a way that models the Spirit of God, not my flavor of theology or politics. That means my response must demonstrate a power greater than this man or any manmade philosophies like conservatism and liberalism and libertarianism can provide. God's Spirit is described in the New Testament as producing nine different verifiable characteristics, like fruit on a tree. If I see apples hanging off a tree, I know it's likely an apple tree. Same thing with the people of God. If you see these fruits in their life, they're probably one of His kids.
This is how I see them applying here.
First I must respond with LOVE for all parties involved. Period. 
Second, I must respond with JOY. Joy that I am loved by God and so is everyone else. And joy that most everyone here actually believes they are trying to do what is best for others. We can work from that starting point! That's why we can drop our differences and turn against common threats because we know we're basically on the same side. We're Americans! Be happy that is still at our core! Let that joy show forth on the Fourth!
Third, I must find PEACE no matter which way the winds of society blow. Fear is the base of all our conflicts on these issues, not hate. Constant fear of the whims of politicians or of the majority acting in prejudice. And remember what Yoda said fear leads to? Anger. Then hate. Then suffering. I still need to learn to trust God - for that helps bring inner peace. I also need to avoid voices on any "side" that prey on my fears 24/7 in order to create panic and control me - and my vote. This is serious business. In Revelation, what is listed as the first category of sinner thrown into the Lake of Fire? The liars? No. The sexually immoral? No. The murderers? No. Who goes first? It is the fearful. Did you even know that was a sin? Let's soak that one in for a second, shall we? The Bible says perfect love - God's love - casts out fear. How do we model peace? Focus on love. Not fear.
Fourth, I must have PATIENCE. Patience with others and patience with our system. And patience with God. (And patience with the length of this post.)
Fifth, I must show KINDNESS. I must be giving and welcoming and cheerfully proactive in my interactions with everyone, not just those who agree with my politics and have the same list of sins I have. Because all philosophies are deeply flawed. And because I do have a list. And so do you. Let's be absolutely real about that. Being real can lead us to be kind.
Sixth, I must have true GOODNESS. My love and patience and kindness can't be gimmicks or techniques or a means to an end. They have to come out of the depths of who I am. I must truly have a good and pure heart toward God and others. Don't tell me this one doesn't give you pause. It does me.
Seventh, I must demonstrate FAITHFULNESS. I have to consistently and continually renew my commitment to love God and my neighbor. This extends to my politics but it must start with the person right in front of me - my daily commitment to family and friends and co-workers. Politics must be neighborliness writ large. Be faithful in the little things first. That faithfulness will resonate in the larger issues.
Eighth, I must be gentle. GENTLENESS hinges on recognition of the fragility of life and of emotions. We're all just an eighth of an inch of cholesterol or a tiny bloodclot or a slight swerve of an oncoming vehicle away from death. Will it really matter a damn what your neighbor's position on the flat tax was when you go to their funeral? No. Then for the love of all that's holy, stop calling them insane or evil when they talk about it today. Think forward. And be careful with people's hearts. At some point in our lives we will all be one bad day away from giving up. Don't be the last straw for someone else. Heal. Don't hurt.
Ninth, I must have SELF-CONTROL. This is about self-discipline. Doing the right thing at the right time and in the right manner. Consistently. That's a hard road. And it takes humility and honesty - and often a good deal of trial and error - to determine all those "right" decisions. Don't let someone else dictate those right things. But don't exclude the lives and hearts of others from those decisions. Because then it's not self-control. It's selfishness.
Peace and love to all.

No comments: