March 04, 2008

My brick wall


I've been doing some study on self-improvement, prioritizing, goal-setting, mission statements and the like. I've gotten up quite a head of steam and successfully set aside chunks of time to work on the program I've chosen and spend some time in deep thought about the concepts and principles involved. I was chugging right along and feeling pretty good about it all until I hit a huge brick wall.

One of the components of the program, used to determine what you should be doing with your life, is answering the question:

"What have been some of my greatest moments of happiness and fulfillment?"

For some reason, I cannot answer that question. I put pencil to paper and I cannot write.

Part of my problem is the exactitude with which I handle language. That sentence compels me to list THE absolute top moments in my life. They must have made me happy AND fulfilled. What is happiness? What is fulfillment? Is anyone ever happy or fulfilled, are we even promised happiness, should we seek it, etc., etc., etc. Yes, my head is a busy, busy place.

Many guys who see that question probably jot down, "My wedding day. The day my kids were born. The day I made manager. Restoring my old GTO," and move on to the next question. Thirty seconds flat. I cannot do that. It seems shallow and dishonest. And my story doesn't line up with most of that. At all.

I also refuse to write something I don't really mean because this is serious business, designed to make me confront such issues. For the sake of moving on I want to just put something there, like all the things you're supposed to put there. But those times were often tinged with great sadness for me. So, part of my problem is the guilt I would feel for leaving those things out.

I don't know if I ever have been "happy" in the conventional sense. Maybe I just have an unrealistic idea of what that's supposed to be like. Maybe I overestimate everyone else's moments of joy. Maybe they're overselling them.

I feel like I've spent very little time doing anything that I really wanted to do, either because I was too fearful to try, circumstances wouldn't allow it, or I was too busy living up to other people's expectations of what I am supposed to be doing. And that's a clue: I seem to make other people happy all the time.

"Hello? Mr. Sharp? Yes, this is your midlife crisis calling. How am I doing so far?"

I intend to provide some answers soon. This will end up being good for me because I plan to start doing the happy stuff. Once I found out what it is!

8 comments:

Dewdrop said...

This entry saddened me... but I totally understand. I, just in the past year, started to appreciate happiness in the sense that I could feel ok sharing my happy and fulfilled moments. I will tell you this... they are moments, mere blinks of time that generate a genuine smile, not the pretend-mixed emotion smile... that you put on because it's one of "those moments" but a real smile, where you experience true satisfaction... moments of true self-accomplishment... moments of raw joy... just a moment, possibly gone in the blink of an eye, but they exist nonetheless.

I can honestly say that the moment when I saw my first wall cloud and funnel cloud on June 6, 2007, was a moment of happiness and fulfillment... quickly invaded by disappointment when nothing more happened. It was a moment of accomplishment, truely attaining a goal, fulfilling a passioned desire, reaching for a star and actually grasping a small piece of one. Happiness and fulfillment occurred for me the moment my neighbor asked who I hired to do my yard work since it looked so nice, and it was me who had done it. It's that feeling in my chest of accomplishment, success, overcoming obstacles and yes, recognition, acknowledgement. I am sure those types of feelings come from different things for different people, but I implore you to breathe in those moments. Submit them to memory. They are the moments that make life worth living. I believe that is what your book is after, too. I hope you find those moments that make you feel happy and fulfilled.

Sharp said...

Thanks, Dew! I think my main problem is I overanalyze things and I don't spend enough time just enjoying the moment.

Don't worry. I am feeling better than I have in a while. I think I am on a healthier path right now and that all this work will pay off. I appreciate your encouragement!

Dean said...

I can relate.

I was doing a similar exercise a few years back and came across the question: What do you want to be when you grow up?

Simple question. So why did I baulk at answering it? Why make excuses that I was already grown up and that the question was redundant? Why not just say "a Fireman" and move on? Why get so stressed in the first place?

I made myself give an answer. I still have the three pages I wrote. The answer shocked me, to be honest, 'cos it was so out of line with where I was. I'm closer now. I check it occasionally to see progress. Man, I hate questions like that.

And happiness, I think I'm getting better at understanding it and seeing it when it arrives. I hope you do too.

Unknown said...

Hey Johnny! We need to talk friend. These kind of questions are what prompted me to seek out the answer of sabbatical. I would love to hear about the program you are doing. While I am out of pocket I am going to do a life mapping exercise I'd like to show you. Maybe you can let me see what you're doing as well and we can learn from one another. See you Sunday.

Dewdrop said...

There's always that... you think you over-analyze, huh...? lol just slightly, but you're not alone in that.

terri said...

so your name's johnny, huh?

i feel like i just stumbled on to some forbidden secret. i always liked that feeling.

hi johnny.

Anonymous said...

Hey johhny.
How have you been.
I haven't talked to you in a while.
Life going alright?

-Bekah

Anonymous said...

Wow. I'm sorry to hear that. You guys will definitely be in my prayers. Just speak the Word over her life and her body. Claim hte promises over her.

I miss you guys, too. If you are still wanting to do a musical in the future, let me know. I am still more than willing to be a part of that.

<3 Bekah