April 07, 2008

"It was you."


I left some of you a little worried after an earlier entry ('My Brick Wall') and, truth be told, I ain't out of the woods yet. And life has gotten even tougher since.

But I found something.

I've never really discussed this topic here because, firstly, it involves my wife's health and privacy, and second, it could easily smack of sympathy-baiting. But you can't understand what I'm telling you without it. So, with as much delicacy as I can muster, here goes.

Some of you already know that my wife has an incredibly life-altering chronic condition (and that may not be vague enough to suit her but it is part of my experience as well). This leaves her vulnerable to myriad illnesses and one in particular that we were told from the beginning would be part of her life always and would, statistically, probably be the one that finally takes her from this world.

Well, this illness took a rather important step toward that end a few weeks ago. We were both terrified that it might be the beginning of the end and it still may be. This was extremely difficult to take, even after 18 years of knowing it was coming. No matter how long you live outrunning it, the reality still surprises you when it's finally breathing down your neck. I may be without the love of my life before very long.

Even in the midst of the indignities she bears and in the, frankly, substandard treatment she often receives, we are always together. That will not change. With courage and toughness (stoicism doesn't even begin to cover her response to the monumental pain she endures every hour of every day) she's gone farther than most ever do. We've fought hard to keep it that way. That will not change either. God's done all the rest (although some days we'd be hard pressed to say what, exactly.)

On her second night of this round at the hospital, I lay down as well as I could on the recliner next to her bed and covered myself with a blanket. I needed rest almost as badly as she did and hoped I could quickly find at least a few hours' sleep. I looked at her, lying on her back, her big, beautiful amber eyes looking directly overhead with more than a little worry in them.

I reached over and lay my open hand on her pillow. Silently, and without turning to look, she raised her hand and put it in mine. I gently closed them together. We both shed a tear and sighed. Then a slight smile crossed our lips.

We were happy.

9 comments:

Dean said...

I don't see an attempt at sympathy baiting. I see a man who loves his wife dearly, who would probably give anything to remove her suffering and who honours her and himself with his words and commitment.

So, though I don't know you, I respect you and wish you both the best in your time together.

Unknown said...

Johnny, what a beautiful post. Please continue to be open and honest and authentic with us. I know we can grow from hearing your experiences. You know I love you and Kathy and have always admired both of you for how you have handled the road you have to walk each day. You both inspire me. Thank you for being an example of a godly, loving, faithful husband. I know Kathy appreciates that most of all.

Dewdrop said...

What a beautiful testimony to the love you and your wife share. You both will be in my thoughts and prayers, while God's will (whatever that turns out be) is carried out. May God bless you both.

RegentCardis said...

Johnny, I have been a silent stalker because I just am not good with words. However, your recent posting has moved me to tears at the wonderful love that you share. You will be in my prayers as you and Kathy continue to be there for each other and to face the unknown together.

Alison said...

Beautiful, absolutely beautiful!

Mike Wilhelm said...

Wow! What else can I say? I hope you never forget that moment!

I tried to check on you Friday night after the storm. I assume you are all ok?

Looking forward to seeing you and Rob!

terri said...

i can't even imagine what this must be like for both of you. it's one of those lurking fears i've talked about lately on my blog. and i think i understand the happiness. i'm walking with you here to whatever this long-distance connection allows. words fall short...

Sharp said...

Thanks to everyone for the encouraging words!

My wife is doing better now. She tires easier and she's having to come to grips with the fact that she cannot do as much as she has in the past. We both are.

Much as I had to finally share this story and let others share my load, we are learning to let others help us in practical respects as well.

Please do keep us in your prayers.

Anonymous said...

I stumbled upon your blog today (after checking out others who listed "Bono: In Conversation" among their favorite books.) This is a beautiful blog and this post ("It was you") was particularly beautiful. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and perspective.