March 30, 2013

What Do You Do?

Some people assume I'm an engineer. They go for years thinking I am one, probably based on my appearance and passing comments about where I work, which is a haven for engineers and scientists.

I'm not an engineer.

It's just that it never comes up in conversation. I don't introduce myself in reference to my occupation, nor do I talk about the actual work outside of work unless specifically asked about it. Most of what I do would seem incredibly boring to other people, so I don't inflict it on them. I discuss the universal aspects (commuting, co-workers, etc.) but that's it.

Yes, I know. I'm an absolutely dreadful networker. Don't judge me.

Also, I don't see people in terms of their occupations. I don't say, "Well, he's an accountant. That tells you a lot right there." No, it doesn't, really. I know deeply philosophical construction workers and depressingly superficial PhDs and vice versa.

When I meet you, I'd much rather know what your personal dreams are, what your hobbies are, the unique character of your hometown, the relationship you have with your siblings, your favorite movie scenes of all time, the most humbling experience you ever had, your favorite smells - all the stuff that jobs help make possible.

I suppose I am a networker, of sorts. I guess it's just that I don't have any ambition to impress people to come looking for my work skills. But I am thrilled to death when I impress upon them that they can come to me with their life story.

That is my favorite job in the world.

No comments: